For the Pet Shop Boys she bought a pint of Heineken like all
the other maids, but also two Jameson doubles, one of which she concealed in
her purse for the intermission; she knew she could wedge it perfectly, upright.
She still had to guzzle the pint though. She showed up perfectly on time for
the show even though she hadn’t had a time.
“The show began with a big big screen that covered the
entire stage. Near the climax they actually resorted to an old trip, they
actually used flashlight feedback, my brother’s forte, but where he was years
ago. They just added some digitized effects to the loop, but it was the same.
(I could even see the flashlight.) My joy at being visually stimulated (like at
home even) was at an all-time high. (Well as high as you can get on music,
visuals, and a bloody pint.) Nostalgia. I was as usual, primed and open,
completely cognizant, and completely swept by the tailored specific song. The
song was come on girl, come fly with me, and made inference to forgetting her
pain. So I did. I feel like an old hand by now. I was utterly blissed out and
gave myself to the opening. Happiness is an option, Touché.”
And then it was “Vampire” which sent her off
on a total tangent. It was not like she believed they were linked, it was
simply accessing that sensibility in the moment in flowing with it. Which
sometimes can go to strange places, for very little did it take to trigger the
interior geometry, and inside the interior geometry was where she absorbed it,
altered thus:
“You’re a vampire [sister], I’m a vampire too”
“Let’s hear
it for the blood drinkers. (I suppose that’s the only way you can join in
identity, and still think you’re cool.) Even this doesn’t disturb me, as I can
give it this tact: as per ritual, Christianity is the sole religion based
around the ceremonial imbibing of someone’s blood. (Especially if you’re
Catholic, then you believe in transubstantiation.) Vampirism is just a cultural
inversion on the common religion. I can vibe right out on this with a sense of
identity and not be concerned. Now, I realize this flies completely in the face
of my work, namely, “We’ll forever be beholden to Christ’s Grace but perhaps no
longer need to drink his blood, see?” and Edward K’s “Voodoo Lady” response.
How can I accept both tacts? Well, you see, having formed an evolved state of
the Christian faith that graduates beyond ritual and is based on identity (they
don’t even know that it’s Christianity yet), you can say I’ve taken faith to a
stage where they (the apostate heathen) can identify with it for the
first time. Hence their first crack at being “blood drinkers”.
This runs
deeper. Christmas had been rather harrowing for me, things have run their
course, the finality of rejection, etc. It came down to one thing, see, and one
thing alone, why I wouldn’t just end myself, having been completely stripped of
everyone that mattered to me, I cared about, or believed in. And I cried out
(with the brace of a challenge (to Bono)), “Do you know how I survived you?”
This winter? I’ll tell you.” At which I growled, “I fed on myself. Wanna
know how I did that?” (The same way I survived my father. No one has hurt me
more than the men God sent.)
You see I’ve
known for years that when I reached this space in time, in awareness, I’d
prefer to kill myself and that logically there would be nothing to hold me
back. (What, my family? After this past fall, there’s no going back.)
I’d have
lost everything you see. Absolutely. Awareness would be agony. With Bono’s
abandonment, the circle of abandonment would be complete and total, all my
hopes and revived expectations (What right, I shouted to the ceiling, do You
have to revive my expectations, if only to destroy them, AGAIN! Wasn’t once
through that agony enough? Granted I did it the first time.) Not that you’ll
ever comprehend this, but with Bono’s rejection, it would all be completely
destroyed. Wanna know how I countered that projection, ahead of time? I cut him
off and vanished over the threshold of perception, fell beyond the depths, and
accepted that I would rise again, naturally, only if I was in fact a true
source of love and goodness. Because my awareness would naturally affect those
souls who regarded themselves as fallen, the ones predisposed to revival who
were trapped and could not see a way back. BY the presence of my awareness they
would see, and those who were trapped would consciously be affected to seek
revival, their own conscious choice, based on their awareness of my love. Then
they themselves would catch me in my fall. The transubstantiation, into other
people, of my own love. (Amazing what conclusions you can come to, and act
upon, on acid, and lightning fast too.)
Yup. That
was the theory.
So now I’m
facing this dude who affected my whole existence (probably without even knowing
it, i.e., he doesn’t even give a f***), who made the offer of a universal union,
the premise on which I based everything that followed (and likely he
won’t even read the content, or care, not until he realized after that it had
cause my suicide and may be on that count, just the desperation of my situation
alone, he should have lifted his g**d***ed finger), and logically his
ignorance of his impact, and total lack of concern, dismantles everything.
Better yet it cuts off my moorings and leaves me permanently adrift,
emotionally isolated on the sea. (Because if he can’t recognize me, then
logically none of the rest will. But my position is too strong, now, for me to
abandon it.) It leaves me with no future. (I will never find my love.) Heavy
f***ing ultimatums of mortal f***ing pain, you will never know.
So, how did
I survive it? By forcing myself to be beholden to my own moral culpabilities.
Beyond this individual, even if he is an ingrate, the possibility still exists,
the union may exist via the vehicle of redemption. (In other words, the man was
a device, not conscious of his machinations, but they still serve a purpose.
[Same as dear Dad, though dear Dad’s machinations were diabolical.]) You see,
at the precise point in time I am being put through the agony of the
consequence of his complete inaction (WHAT VALUE DOES IT HAVE, THEN!!!), I have
made myself morally culpable to the possibility, now there’s the others. The
others have come in tandem with these responses:
Edward K.’s
– “You’ve got to live” – Feel the Quiet River Rage
Eurythmics
“Please let it stay” – I
Saved the World Today
Trent
Reznor’s “I won’t let you fall apart” – The Fragile
Tom Petty –
“I promise you this winter I will worship you like gold, and ride your train
forever, electric fortunes to be told.” Echo
It came down
to this, ladies and gents. (In the context of the songs they came from, and
overall body of work, of course.)
(I could
have even predict that entering this context would force me to live, there’s
too much at stake. It was in a sense, the most appalling future of all.) You
see, I’ve passed the point where I can let go. I have generated the
response I anticipated, and I am beholden to it. I have survived through the
redemptive awareness. They have caught me. Trent successfully denied me
the possibility of killing myself (or any form of self-destruction). So I survived through a transubstantiation of
my own love. They in turn respond to
keep me alive in the face of nothingness. (Whether this form of survival may
ever achieve happiness, ever, is open to debate, but then that’s the whole
irony of Echo, isn’t it? In Echo she never does. The point is
that he still says, in the context of
Echo,
he promises “this winter” “I will worship you like gold”, this
winter being the darkest vantage of my unhappiness and pain, which feels like
it will be with me for all time. (This can be supported in argument.) And it
was this frail straw I grasped, empty except for my own perceived essence. (If
he can still find me worth of adoration (Christ!) during this unholy
all-encompassing low, maybe you’re still worth something.) Having made a short
and simple story very long, the conversation I thought of ensuing (I can only
think them, as there is no one to talk to) was in fact brief, resuming at “I
fed on myself.”
“Want to know how I did that? –I
put my awareness into other people, and it converted them, so that they in turn
responded to save me as I fell into oblivion. Their response is based on my own
essence, what I gave despite everything. It
is the same, in essence, as dining on your own blood. That is how I
survived you.”
Can’t see my
connection? C’Mon! Given that I performed this whole act while my father was
crucifying me inside my own mind, and my awareness (anything pertaining to my
religious belief, the union, spiritual connection, The Kingdom, anything beyond
the material) was completely destroyed (I died). What better analogy is there?
It’s blood of the spirit. It’s a spiritual death. And it’s the same “death”
Bono’s putting me through now, nice and slow this time. I’m surviving on what I
myself gave. (I suppose the meager nature of the feast is to my own account.) I
successfully gave love to myself, in a way that’s true. I am responsible for my
own existence. I drank my own blood, received it from these others. I gave
myself life, the validity to exist.
You see it
had to come down to this, go this far. I have to live through the consequences
of Bono abandoning me. Because it is then I bite the bullet, that the circle
finally becomes complete. It is then that Trent saves me, you see, and that
validation is his access to Grace. Because there is inherent value in saving my
existence that he can’t find in saving his own. But he gains access through my
blood, my complete abandonment, and the fact that my complete recovery is based
in part, in himself. (Bono destroys me, and so it’s him who’s still holding me
together.
Which in
analogy, makes us a circle of blood drinkers, doesn’t it? It’s never been more
than an analogy through all of history. I’m sorry Catholics, but it’s just
bread and wine, and your allusion was spiritual, wasn’t it? You claim it
represents spiritual restoration in Christ. [Well, Christ showed up too.] Well,
I hate to rain on your parade, but what about encountering an existence, or
existences, where this literally occurred as fact, and may, perhaps, be proven?
Mine is comparatively real, whereas yours is relatively subjective. Not all of
Christendom could have done a thing for Trent’s soul, but I did. I am that
transmutation, that becoming of the bodies of other people. So in that context,
it is more honest then, for members of this common identity to consider
themselves a true society of blood drinkers, isn’t it? Hence an allusion to
vampires? For indeed they are the monster that literally achieves eternal life
through the consumption of blood. And so we shall live, (with narry a drop
having graced our lips, but the same analogy). However, we are the successfully
the inverse of the monster, for no one was sacrificed, and no one was lost to
another to sustain us. In the beginning, I fed on myself. Trent gave to me. The
circle is complete. I would hardly expect someone else to recognize such a
distinction. The hairsplitting is my department. But seeing as I know where the
hair splitting lies, I can vibe out on a song like “I’m a vampire and you’re a
vampire too” with total identity and total impunity, and emerge unscathed.
I gave
Barbara the merest inkling of insight into this by stating how the vampire myth
was the inverse of the communion ritual. She responded, “You read too much.”
The point of
the vampire invocation is that it is a literalized variant on the Christian on
the Christian communion ritual [inverted by its exclusion of Grace and
Divinity]. The point is that we graduated to the true sense of the communion
ritual [in a sense becoming a literalized variant on the vampire analogy with
none of its perversions by having accessed self-sufficiency while
simultaneously accessing Christ as Grace]. I’d challenge you, from the point of
a sense of common identity, to find anything that would articulate such a
subtle shift so succinctly. (Not that anyone’s being that clever, but how else,
as an unbeliever, would you put it? If all you were working from was a sense of
common identity, which the song attempts to affirm?) Of course, probably the
Pet Shop Boys themselves, and certainly audience members are assuming the dark
attributes. They’ll base their common
identity on that. In so doing, they will
define themselves as preferentially evil according to their own true colours.
That’s the other gambit to this game that keeps arising, how it tricks people
into defining themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment