“That we
should wish to cast him down and have no one in his place is not a thought that
occurs in his mind.” -Gandalf referring to Sauron in “The Two Towers”
I re-read it
just because it was lying about. While this was never my intent, the thought
never does occur to my father that I have no interest in his position, other
than my concern with the implications of his condemnation of me. I always
regarded it as fine, this is who you are. What mattered to me though was the
familial state and whether this ideology would impact to benefit people, or was
it just substitution?
If you look
at my father’s arguments, you will find it hinges on the accusation that I
covet a more exalted place than his, it’s all relative to his placement.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I thought of his place as relative
based on merit. I thought, too, that he had the equal capacity to make it
worthless. My real point is that my
father can only frame his arguments towards me in relation to his position, and
I am not even in the same ballpark. I didn’t want it. I didn’t want what was
offered in juxtaposition to him. I proved this by shutting it all down, giving
it all up, rather than ever entering the possibility of such a split occurring,
of being accused of this whether it was true or not. But all my father can
assume is that I’m trying to usurp his place. I walked away from it long ago
when I divorced. I bear no relation to his position; I was wilfully stripped of
everything. And I did not seek to revolt, merely to answer my own question of
who I might be in a scheme I myself never devised.
Once years
ago, say perhaps when I was about fourteen of fifteen, my father asked me which
of the Lord of the Rings characters I though best represented me in real life.
I excluded the nine because they were all male, though there is the fact that
our family, too, is nine. I’d hesitate there too because if you think of it, my
father would assumed the characters of the three pivots of the nine, Gandalf,
The King, and the Ring-bearer. So Frodo was out automatically (I kept it a
secret that was who, out of the nine, I felt the most identity with.) That left
the three female characters, Eowyn, Galadriel, and Arwen.
Arwen was
too aloof and beatific, almost a non-entity. Besides she was the closest to
Aoreth and Aoreth was always an unattainable ideal to me, purified distillate.
Besides Arwen married the King and I didn’t want to go near there, especially
since that role should have been Mother’s. Eowyn, though, I could handle. I
admired her icy, austere spirit, her courage, the fact that she fought. She
killed the Witch King. So I said, “Eowyn”.
Dad wasn’t
impressed. He said he thought of me, in fact, as Galadriel. That blew my head.
(She wasn’t even on my mental map.) I felt flattered. But I preferred Eowyn. I
thought it more honest. After I’d read The Silmarillion I could banter
(this was after I’d finally cajoled Dad into reading it), “So, Galadriel was
really one of the exiled, barred from heaven!” Hardly the golden ideal he’d
prescribed. I think now of that as his image for me, how he would mould me into
an image ideal, but according to his prescriptions. In those appalling letters
he exhorts, “Where is my Galadriel?” They sent me a bottle of “Holy Water”
(they prayed over it) with her name on it. It’s been his secret ideal all this
time.
Eowyn is
closer to the truth.
She fights.
She is
morbid. Her heart is frozen. She is trapped in a castle, lusted after. She is
mortally wounded nigh death by a sorcerer’s weapon, suffers unrequited love for
an unattainable ideal.
But what
recently went “Cha-ching!” is that she never marries the King. She finds true
happiness in the Steward, Faramir, who heals her heart.
She kills
the greatest of dark servants. To gain this victory she disobeys a royal
command.
Eowyn is
much, much closer to the truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment